Friday, February 14, 2020

Week 5 Story: Team Rocket finally captures Pikachu

Come see this story and the rest of my portfolio for this course: https://sites.google.com/d/1Zs6KkLEAOA1JdoPBPIM4d_AjY3QT2dds/p/1JGM-gHJlL9adalaPoR1Lp3vSR1PxN52K/edit



Author's note: This idea took hours upon hours of me wracking my brain for an idea. I wanted to rewrite a story from the Ramanya because I enjoyed reading it and it was fresh on my mind. One of my favorite parts of the Ramanya was the story of the golden deer where Ravana finally is able to capture and take Sita away with him. I decided for another retelling of a story to change the characters to those from Pokemon and more specifically the anime/tv show that I grew up watching. I am pretty familiar with those characters because like many others I watched every episode when they aired on Saturday mornings and I felt like they could fit this story with their motives.



It is a beautiful sunny day in the Kanto region. The sun is shinning there is not a cloud in the sky. Pidgeys fly gleefully through the air as Team Rocket's Jessie, James and Meowth try to device a plan to finally steal Ash Ketchum's Pikachu.

"How are we gonna get past that twerp kid and finally get that Pikachu?" asked James,

Meowth quickly responds, "Beats me! I'm all out of ideas. I think we should just give up."

"Aha! I've got it!" exclaims Jessie "If we can lure the kid away from Pikachu long enough we can take him. Without his trainer to protect him We'll get him for sure! I'll disguise myself to look like a Mr. Mime. Ash doesn't have a Mr. Mime yet and will be so focused on capturing it that hopefully he will leave Pikachu alone and ripe for the picking for us to swoop in!" shouted an excited Jessie.

"It is just crazy enough to work!" blurted out James.

Meowth interjects saying, "Lets get started!"

While all this is going on Ash Ketchum along with his beloved Pikachu and best friend Brock are walking through the forests unsuspecting of what is to come.


"Ash I know you want to catch them all, but finding some Pokemon in the wild is about as likely as winning the lottery." Brock explains to Ash

"Pika Pika Pi!" shouts Pikachu.

"That's right Pikachu you tell him! Just because the odds are low doesn't mean we shouldn't try!" Ash says in agreement.

Jessie dressed up to look like a Mr. Mime peaks out from the bushes to try to get into Ash's peripheral vision.



"Is that a Mr. Mime?!?!" Ash yells out in excitement.

Brock elatedly responds, "It sure is! Ash I guess you were right! Mr. Mime being encountered in this part of Kanto is like being struck by lightning! You better catch that one, you might never get another chance!"

"I've got him!" Jessie thinks to herself as she runs away in her disguise to try and lure Ash away.

"You get back here so I can catch you!" Ash yells as he chases the Mr. Mime into the dense forest.

From the top of a hill that oversees the forest and all this is occurring, Meowth and James watch things unfold through a pair of binoculars.

"We got rid of the kid, now what do we do about the friend so we can nab the Pikachu?" questions Meowth.

James responds, "Meowth this is your time to shine, go into the forest in the direction of where Jessie and the kid ran. Once you get there do your best impression of the kid yelling for help. The friend will get worried about him and leave the Pikachu to help find the kid."

"Got it!" Meowth says as he sprints towards his position.

"Help! I need help!" Meowth yelled in the Brock and Pikachu's direction in a spot on Ash impression.

Pikachu's ears perk up as he shouts "Pi Pika Pi!" to get Brock's attention.

"Pikachu don't worry, Ash is fine. If I know him he is probably overrating to nothing. He definitely has everything under control. He isn't in any danger." Brock says to try and calm down Pikachu.

Pikachu passionately belts out, "Pika Pi!" to try and persuade Brock to go after Ash.

"Fine have it your way! If you are really that worried I'll go after him. Just stay safe right here Pikachu. I'll be back with Ash as fast as I can." Brock says as he sprints into the dense forest to find Ash.

"We've got Pikachu right where we want him. Finally, the time to strike is now!" James excitedly thinks to himself as he runs down the hill towards Pikachu.

"I've got you now Pikachu! Your trainers are no where to be found. You are coming with me." James said as he approached the Pikachu.

"Pika Pika!" Pikachu screamed loudly at James. Pikachu let off sparks from its cheeks in anticipation of using it's thunderbolt attack to fend off James.

"I am not going anywhere near that thing and getting electrocuted. How can I capture that rat some other way?" James thought to himself

"I've got it. Go Victreebel!" James shouted as he unleashed his Victreebel onto the grass between him and the angry Pikachu.



"Victreebell open wide and capture that Pikachu in your mouth!" James commanded to his Pokemon.

Victreebel leaped towards the Pikachu and devoured the Pikachu in his mouth. The Pikachu was unable to move. James takes his Victreebel back to the Team Rocket air balloon. Jessie, James and Meowth all high five in extreme joy as they finally have done it. They finally captured Pikachu.





3 comments:

  1. Hey Michael,
    If I had to be honest this could probably be my favorite rendition of a story! It might be because of how I grew up with Pokemon as a kid, but I really think it is because of how creative you were with the topic and how you went along with it! The fact that you also mentioned that it took you a while to come up with really shows, as it turned out really well for the amount of time put in, and I really truly am impressed. Stories like these, the way they are written at least, really make me wish there is more to read! How did you know Pokemon would be such a good fit? You mentioned that you felt like it would be fitting, but how did you know to take the risk? I also really adore your image selection throughout, as it feels like I am watching it in live action, seeing the events take place. Did you get inspired by that somewhere? The only thing I could recommend would be to incorporate a little bit more detail throughout the portions of the story that are not dialogue. I think it is fine how it turned out, but if you wanted to change it up a little bit more, more detail in the settings would be a good way to do so! Really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michael!

    I have to admit this was pretty entertaining to read. I never watched Pokemon religiously growing up but I've definitely seen the show and I think you incorporated the original story pretty well. You also wrote very well that I was able to visualize the emotion and scenes of your story. Keep up the great work I can't wait to read your other stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job with this Micheal. I have played Pokemon when I was younger (and still play sometimes because I'm a nerd). I thought this was really creative to take the main plot points from a part of the Ramayana and retell it with character Ms from another story. Reading this felt like watching one of those Pokemon eps except that this time, team rocket is blasting off with Pikachu. I'm really curious how this story would continue if you were to write more.

    ReplyDelete